Because it is important for me to share my French culture with you, I am presenting you today the recipe of the real french baguette, like in Paris !
Simple as 4 ingredients – wheat, water, yeast and salt – the secret lies in the careful handling of the dough and paying attention to fermentation.
For 2 medium size baguettes or 1 big, you need :
350g flour of your choice
200ml lukewarm water
6g baker’s yeast
– Dilute baker’s yeast in lukewarm water. To know if the water is not too hot, try putting your finger in. If it burns, it means it’s too hot! Wait 5-8 min.
– In the bowl of your food processor, pour flour, salt and water+yeast and knead during 5 min.
– Knead dough until nicely round and smooth. Then, place the dough in a clean bowl and cover it with a kitchen cloth. – Remove the air from the dough every 15 min for 1 hour (4 times).
– Preheat oven to 240°C (if possible, put heat from below). – Then let the dough rest for an additional 1 hour without touching it.
– Flour your work surface and carefully shape your sticks. Bake for 15min with heat from below and another 10min with heat from below and above.
Enjoy your tartines !